Applying a pressure dressing with a compress: This is how it works!
The aim of a pressure dressing is to treat serious injuries quickly and to promote wound healing. The dressing is intended to prevent the patient from losing a large amount of blood, but it is also used for severe bruises. As a rule, pressure bandages are only applied to the limbs or the head.
1. Elevate the injured part of the body and apply pressure on the bleeding above the wound.
2. Clean/disinfect the wound. If a large foreign body is stuck in the wound: Do not remove it yourself!
3. Apply compress(es) and wrap with a bandage with strong tension several times (but not yet with the entire bandage).
4. Place pressure pad over the wound.
5. Secure the pressure pad with the remaining fabric of the dressing.
6. Finally fix the bandage with a plaster or a staple.